Friday, June 10, 2011

Pompeii

Yesterday I went to Pompeii on a bus trip out of Rome.  It was the only possible way to squeeze the 400 km round journey in before leaving Rome for Venice.   I can tell you that the prospect of doing a guided tour filled me with dread but the day turned out to be exceptional. This is mostly due to the fact that visiting Pompeii has always been on my wish list and it didn't disappoint.  Also the bus trip gave me a chance to rest my worn out feet.  

Ocean facing main gate

Main forum
 I had not realised just how large Pompeii was and how extensive the restoration has been.  Italy does seem to have a 'naturalistic' approach to conservation, ie if its still standing then leave it alone, if it’s fallen over it must be a ruin…. then leave it alone.  Happily this is not the case with Pompeii and the restoration of a few houses and theatres gives you real perspective of the civilisation. 



Baker's ovens


Main street and volcano in the not too distance!

Off to Venice to begin the ride!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time! Cold and windy back home, saw your beautiful wife and children this morning at Soccer - enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete