Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Via Appia Antica

Today was brilliant.  Peter and Liz headed off to the Vatican City to do some Pope spotting and I decided to take the plunge and hire a bike.  I have read up about the ancient highway into Rome, the Appian Way and how it was a very popular bike ride.  Perhaps I should have done a little more research but hey..... who reads instructions?

Now the bike snob in me did initially struggle with the only style of bike on offer but as I hit the cobbles all was forgiven.


Once I had finally cleared the hell raising traffic of the business district and the Coliseum the countryside was spectacular and dotted with a ridiculous number of ruins.


I was having so much fun rattling over the cobbles and dodging the ancient pavement that the day flew by.  I was brought back to reality when I ran out of road and energy.  Fortunately in Italy there seems to be a little man in a van selling food just around every corner.  My lunch may not have been the most aesthetic so far but at the time it tasted like heaven. It also provided enough energy to get me home again.



No comments:

Post a Comment